20 January 2013

A Letter Home


Dear Me

I haven't heard from you for a while. Someone told me the other day that they thought you were a little sad. I don't understand why. Compared to a lot of people out there you have it so easy. You always have had. Do you remember when we were little kids we used to talk about what we were going to do when we grew up? We would lie on your bed with that big world map spread out and we would try and imagine what it was like in this place and that. You told me that you were going to travel the world when you grew up. You told me that you were going to visit and live in faraway exotic places and every day was going to be an adventure. Well you did that and you are doing it now. I know that you miss home sometimes but that's natural Peter. It’s still there mate and it always will be. It will wait for you. 

Come back when you are ready.

You told me once that you were a wanderer. I remember that well. You were always very restless and you couldn't seem to sit still. I know that you are a wonderer as well. You always asked so many questions and tried to understand why things were and why things are. I hope you are still doing that dude. It is one of the things that I like best about you. You taught me to be inquisitive too and for that I will be eternally grateful.

Do you remember - all those years ago - not long after your grandpa died - that I tearfully told you that I was afraid of dying. I recall you laughing at me then and telling me that I should be more afraid of not living. I didn't understand that then and I thought that you were being cruel. But I get it now. You taught me not to take anything for granted. I hope you remember that as well.

I can't forget either that time when you told me that everyone needed to get lost in order to be found. I thought you were being silly but I think you might be right there. Being lost isn't such a bad thing and finding your way is just a part of life. 

We all do it really. 

I am doing it now.

So anyway I need to sign off now and get back to my busy life. Don't be in any rush to write back to me because I sort of know what you are doing most of the time anyhow. Do drop me a line one day down the track though - just to reassure me that you are OK. I think you will be. OK that is. 

You always have been.

No comments :

Post a Comment